Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Airport Rant 2

Ladies and Gentlemen, back after popular demand, it’s Airport Rant 2. This time I’m coming to you from jolly old London. Heathrow airport to be exact. I’m just waiting for my connecting flight which is to Glasgow, Scotland. The in thing here appears to be Pink scarves. Or, more correctly, hot chicks in pink scarves. Frustrating about the airport is lack of free internet access. Toronto is also bad with this, but there, I happened to be situated close to the Maple Leaf lounge and managed to steal their signal. For those interested, my flight over was fantastic. The plane was a Boeing 777, and I had an entire row of 3 seats to myself. The plane had personal entertainment screens in the seat in front of you, so you can choose what programming (if any you’d like to watch. I chose to watch Evan Almighty. Not impressed. At all. Other choices included “Surf’s Up” which I actually saw in the theatre and was a much better movie.
A small child has come dangerously close to taking over my laptop. If she could type I would let her, but I think she’s two. At the moment I’m slightly worried, as my connecting flight is not appearing on the big board. I still have almost 3 hours so no big deal yet, but it just seems weird. So there’s really not a lot going on here yet. The British seem to be much more reserved at the airport than the Canadians. No fat guys in Hawaiian shirts yet. Very disappointing. Children behind me are watching some movie on a DVD player. I’m very close to putting on clips from the Swedish Chef, and turning this thing up as loud as it will go. “Een de berggy, smirgen, au da Cheekin en da Baskit”. Oh, that’d be good times.
I’m gonna take an aside here to write about some pressing issues.
1.) Apparently we missed something through 7 books, and Albus Dumbledore was gay all along. Yes, JK Rowling revealed this past week that the character of Dumbledore is gay. What???? This really is the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Never in any of the books was anything like this mentioned. No sexual innuendo, nothing. Now with all the books being done, the final chapter written, the story put to bed, Rowling now decides to tell us that Dumbledore was gay? I’m personally just deciding to ignore it. My Dumbledore is not gay. It was never built into his character and has nothing to do with the stories. Rowling, you just made the jack ass list.
2.) The Boston Red Sox have made the World Series, coming back from a 3-1 deficit to Cleveland. This series was really something to watch. In the games Cleveland won they looked so strong. Being up 3-1 with two 19 game winners pitching in games 5 and 6, I thought the series would end there. But those guys stunk. Big time. C.C. Sabathia, what a disappointment. If Cleveland fans can take anything from this it’s that their team is good. I thought that Cleveland had the young talent to be contending for a World Series in 2 or 3 more years. They proved me wrong, and were 1 game from going this year. The future in the Mistake by the Lake is bright. Hopefully Sabathia and the others can learn from their mistakes and grow stronger.
3.) What is harder to pick games at NFL or College football? In the past I would have said the NFL, as parity in the league has made it possible that no game is a forgone conclusion (ok, save the ones the Patriots are in), and the statement “Any Given Sunday” has never wrung so true. But this year in the NCAA has been crazy. Every week, upset after upset. As you may have noticed, I’ve started doing weekly rankings for the top 25. Some of my placings differ fairly significantly (6 places or so) from the AP and Coaches Polls. They may be wrong and I’m right though. Who knows? Come next week their number 8 team may lose and I’ll look smarter for having that team ranked 13, knowing that other teams were better. Then again the complete opposite could happen and I’d look like the numpty, over evaluating a certain team. It’s just so tough this year. A couple things I think. Both actual polls have Arizona State higher than Kansas, but I have it the other way around. These are not traditional powers (ok, Arizona State has definitely had it’s time in the sun, but does not contend for a division championship every year) but both are currently still undefeated. For me Kansas has better quality wins, and looks like a more polished team. I don’t think either of them will finished undefeated, but we make the rankings based on what we’ve seen to date, and if the two teams played on a neutral field today, I think Kansas would come out ahead, so I have them higher. Finally predictions for the big game. My gut still says LSU makes it, even though they’ve looked vulnerable the past couple of weeks. They have also shown a lot of heart, and I still think they are the most complete team in the country. Oklahoma sits in a great position. They are explosive, and I think they can definitely win out the rest of the way, and finish with 1 loss. Whether or not Ohio State can go undefeated is going to be the big question. Michigan is playing some good football again, and if the Buckeyes are still undefeated when they meet in the last game of the regular season, Watch out. It could be another instant classic. My sleeper one loss team is Oregon. I’m not sure if they’ll end up with one loss, but I’m hoping so. This team is fun to watch, and I’m really hoping they’ll at least make a BCS game, if not the Championship.
Anyway, that’s me for now, because I’m gonna go and try and find out what the hell is up with my flight.

Update
I was in the complete wrong area. Apparently there are separate areas for domestic flights (within the UK) and International flights. I was specifically told to go where I did by one of the workers. He lied to me. I'm now in Glasgow. All is good. I bought some cigars in London. Partagas Serie D No.4, can't wait to spark one up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home